iTAP 30/11/2010

Influence of Text

Text can change the outcome of an image, creating an entirely different meaning than if the image was on it's own. Jim Golderg's Rich and Poor series is a good example of this. He took pictures of subjects and then allowed them to write their own commentary.



I can't help but laugh at this; the wife in this elderly couple writes out a detailed and heartfelt dialogue about her husband, talking about his 'strength of character' and how they are 'totally devoted to each other'. And the husband's contribution is: 'My wife is acceptabe. Our relationship is satisfactory'. It's clear the different viewpoint's these two have, and their characteristics are also reflected in their handwriting. The wife's, an eloquent and neat style, and the husbands, a wobbly scrawl.

'What I really want is a real home with nice furniture, also a van to drive. I would also like to give my son what I didn't get in life. Which includes love.'


This photo and the accompanying text touches on family values and future aspirations. There is a definite human element added through the handwritten text - which would not be there otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment