iTAP 05/10/10

“Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working.” - Picasso

Inspiration


Where does one find Inspiration? 

The answer: Everywhere

In order to be an effective Illustrator, or a creative in any field - one must draw inspiration from everything. Constantly inquiring, photographing, collaging, and sketching the world around us. When stuck in a rut it is often a good idea to take your eyes of the page and look around.


The above example is of my own work. I gain inspiration through scribbling down pages of notes upon notes, fleshing out my ideas and giving me a place to quickly jot down ideas and sketches as the thoughts come to me.

Ben Templesmith, an australian comic book Illustrator, gives his take on what inspires him:


'Like many artists I am frequently “borrowing” ideas and inspiration from other artists.  Depending on how my creativity is flowing – I may just see a flash of something and be inspired for weeks – or I can spend hours digging through and researching everything that I can get my hands on hoping that it will spawn ideas for me.  When time is against me, I usually prefer the first option – but I often end up with the second option.'


Researching other artists work is another way to get inspiration, and also gives you an idea of what's already out there in the market.
There are no limits to where inspiration can come from, and only depends on the artist's themselves.


Practices of Illustration


Practice is often achieved in the form of sketchbooks, observing and sketching - partly for inspiration (as demonstrated above) but as a way to hone one's craft. 


In this example, the Illustrator Guy Davis has sketched out his ideas for his part in Mike Mignolas B.P.R.D.


Annotations and notes are used to flesh out ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment